Christmas is a special time of the year. You’ve probably put up and dressed your Christmas tree with baubles and lights surrounded with lovely gift-wrapped presents. What a lovely sight – especially for burglars.
As Christmas approaches homes typically become filled with expensive gifts and gadgets. Unfortunately, Christmas is the busiest period in the burglar’s calendar.
Here are some simple tips to make sure you stay safe from burglars over the festive season:
- Keep presents out of sight from windows.
- Never leave discarded boxes for high value items on display.
- Don’t leave presents in a shed or garage – even though you may think it’s a good idea to hide them out of sight of your family, outbuildings are fairly easy to break into
- Check your security lights and locks are working properly before you leave home.
- If you’re leaving your house unattended to visit family, don’t advertise it on social media. Criminals are on social media too!
- Set up timer lights for when you’re away from home. Some models come with ‘holiday mode’ to randomise times they switch on.
- Ask neighbours to check your house whilst you’re away.
Also, do not leave items of value in view in your vehicle. It only takes a few seconds for an opportunistic thief to break in and relieve you of your items.
We hope you have a very Merry Christmas and stay safe.