There’s been a marked increase in Catalytic converter thefts in the UK over the recent months. Catalytic converters are often targeted by thieves for the precious metals found inside them, not for the part itself.
Thieves are targeting parked cars in general car parks, streets and even in the grounds of people’s homes.
Using high-powered tools they can jack-up a car and cut converters out within a matter of minutes, leaving you with the inconvenience, headache and expense of repairing your vehicle repaired.
Here are a few tips to help you to keep your vehicle safe:
- Mark your converter with a unique code so it’s harder for thieves to sell
- Approach your local car dealership or garage for advice about fitting a Catloc or another protective device
- Park with your exhaust close to a fence, wall or kerb to reduce the risk of theft
- Install a 24-hour dashcam
- Buy a driveway alarm
- Park in a well-lit area, ideally covered by CCTV
- If your catalytic converter is bolted on, consider having the bolts welded to make removal difficult.
It’s always better to prevent the risk of an incident than having to deal with the impact of having your catalytic converter stolen.