Good news for UK motorists travelling to Europe

After many months of enjoying our “Staycations” in the UK, it’s great to know that we can go a bit further afield for our travels and pop over to EU countries now that borders are opening again for overseas visitors.

And there’s some other good news to share too.

With effect from Monday 2nd August the European Commission has implemented a new change to motoring law allowing drivers of UK-registered vehicles, including those from Northern Ireland, will no longer need green card insurance when driving their car in EU countries.

What documents will you need to take with you when driving abroad?

After 2nd August, a certificate of insurance will cover drivers travelling between other EU/EEA countries. In addition to their certificate, it would also be worthwhile to advise customers to carry their driving licence and V5C logbook and display a GB sticker on their vehicle.


In some cases, you may also need an International Driving Permit to drive in some EU/EEA countries.  For the current information and guidelines on travelling abroad click here.

If you plan to take a caravan or trailer, always check for the latest information about the documents you will need with your insurance broker before you leave as you may still require a green card.

Happy holidays and let’s hope you enjoy good weather and an opportunity to relax wherever you decide to go on your travels.

Bon voyage!